Do’s & Don’ts of Treating a Snake Bite

Do's & Don'ts of Treating a Snake Bite

( – There are always some dangers involved when exploring the great outdoors. You are, after all, in nature where wild animals roam.  In some areas, there are even threats slithering in the backyard – in this case specifically, snakes. Do you know what to do if bitten by a snake, be it in the wild or closer to home?

Several myths surround snake bites. Regardless of what you may have heard, you should always take them seriously. Knowing the do’s and don’ts of treating a snake bite may very well save your life or that of a family member one day.

If you get bitten by a snake, be sure to remain calm. It doesn’t help if you accelerate your heart rate as this will spread the venom faster. Next, lay down and position yourself so the bite’s site is below your heart (a safe distance away from the snake). Remove any restrictive clothing and jewelry to avoid further injury once swelling begins.

Despite what you may have heard, do not apply a tourniquet, drink any beverages containing alcohol or caffeine, or allow anyone to attempt to cut the bite and suck out any of the poison. All of these actions can make the situation worse, not better.

Before you leave, be sure to check out this article providing additional information about the first thing you should do after experiencing a snake bite and this one about treating both poisonous and non-poisonous snake bites.

Copyright 2021,